Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase each other
doesn't make any sense.
- (Sufi Poet Rumi)


Thursday, December 24, 2009

Love is Born






One of my favorite movies is "Love Actually," a Christmas movie that lifts up the song, "Love is All Around." In it, one character says, "Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around."

Our daily lives may not be particularly dignified or newsworthy, but in every moment it seems as if we have the chance to connect to the great desire of life to flow through us, and our responding dream to give life back, to give love back. Looking around at trees, birds, faces of friend and stranger, and the stars above, we see evidence of life as it shines on us. If we look for it, I suspect that our lives are like the most touching movie, and we become stars as we see the world as it is, a place of possibility that we can choose love, and hence choose life for all.

How might love be born in you this holiday season?

No comments:

Post a Comment