Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase each other
doesn't make any sense.
- (Sufi Poet Rumi)


Sunday, March 21, 2010

Be-longing into Belonging





Be-longing into Belonging

One of the tenets of nonviolent communication is that when we connect to life by allowing ourselves to feel and accept the needs of all beings, we lessen our own particular demands. We can do this because by connecting to life a very basic human needs is fulfilled - belonging to life on this planet! It may not feel very good to be aware that our needs, and the needs of others might not get met in our own life time, or theirs. We long for so much - for there to be flourishing, care, compassion, and harmony for everyone. Out of this longing we gain our sense of belonging on this planet, and in turn, can offer a sense of belonging to others as we hold their needs with precious care (even if we can't meet their needs).

I am reminded of this recently as I get ready to journey to Honduras and Guatemala. In preparing for my multiple lectures there I am reviewing the tremendous environmental destruction and the ongoing oppression, poverty, and human suffering that I have witnessed and have been unable to stop. My heart aches to recall the children and the parrots I have known that have died and are no more except in my aging photographs and memory. In my longing for a better world and out of that ache for beauty to be given freedom to flourish, I grow in faith that I belong in this world, and so do others - both oppressor or oppressee. For there is neither wrongdoing or rightdoing, and neither oppressor or oppressee, just beings with precious needs that belong here, now. It is a blessing they were born. An in seeing that, I count my multiple blessings as well.

Blessed Be.

Where or when do you gain your greatest sense of belonging?

No comments:

Post a Comment